Neighbourhood development on this scale brings a range of opportunities. Northcote will become more dense, meaning there will be a greater number of homes and people living in the area. This increases the number of customers and opportunities for retailers and small businesses owners. More businesses means more work available locally. Local school children will have the opportunity to visit the construction sites and learn about the different consultants and trades present. Students from AUT will have the opportunity to gain work experience on site. Where appropriate, materials from the existing houses will be re-used. Kaipatiki Local Board is aiming for a zero waste community and we'll be doing our bit to help. We'll work with the schools and community development agencies to develop projects that use the upcycled materials for the benefit of the community.
The planned development of Northcote will:
- replace old Housing New Zealand (HNZ) homes with warm, modern homes.
- increase the number of HNZ homes available to families who need them.
- increase the number and quality of homes available at an affordable price.
- increase the community's enjoyment of Northcote by upgrading amenities.
- support the community as it grows, building on its existing character and strength.
HNZ has asked HLC to manage the development of the new housing and the new/upgraded neighbourhood amenities. HLC is fully owned by Housing New Zealand and is also responsible for developing Hobsonville Point in Auckland's northwest. Panuku Development Auckland will look after the reinvigoration of the town centre. Panuku is an Auckland Council organisation.